Thursday, September 17, 2009

HOUSTON'S BEER CAN HOUSE GENERATES #4 ALL-TIME RANKING IN "BLACKENED GOLD AWARDS"


It takes a lot of work to win a "Blackened Gold Award". Believe me, I should know. Today is a happy day for me though as I'm receiving my fourth such award, this time for the classic, "Houston's Beer Can House...A Pictorial Study of One of Mankind's Greatest Achievements"

It's funny how this story came about. I was searching the internet for a unique picture to use for the "Six Pack Trophy" that the Steelers won this year and I found this picture of a house mixed in with a zillion pictures of beer cans. "What's this," I thought? Then upon closer examination I found that it was a house that was covered with beer cans! As I researched this story further, I learned that it was located in Houston and I then did this first story which didn't make the top seven, but very well could have. Dated January 13, 2009 it was titled "NEW NORTH SHORE NEIGHBORHOOD TO BE BUILT FROM BEER CANS". I had a real lot of fun writing this one.

Then, in late March I found myself visiting my youngest son in Houston, so of course, the "Beer Can House" was on my short checklist of things to see! After touring the actual house with Dave and taking many pictures, I then crafted the masterpiece that went on to win me another "Blackie" (see picture above). The rest, as they say, is history.


 ABOVE: Houston's "Beer Can House". Even more impressive in person when you realize that one guy drank all of this beer!

So pull up a chair and get ready to ready the fourth ranked story in "P.B. & G." history! I'll close today with the wonderful "epilogue" with which this story concluded: Face it, there are things in this world that we'll never understand. The "Beer Can House" certainly fits in that category. While this visit was certainly enlightening, I 'm sorry to report that I created more questions for myself than I answered by visiting it. Next time you feel like taxing your brain to its' very outermost limit, just pay a visit to 222 Malone Street...and bring something, anything, to drink with you. You'll need it by the time you're ready to leave.


FOURTH RANKED STORY IN SITE HISTORY (as confirmed by the Fantastic Four)

"HOUSTON'S BEER CAN HOUSE...A PICTORIAL STUDY OF ONE OF MANKIND'S GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS"

No comments: